Nine Steps to Problem-Solving
- Understand the nature of the challenge
- What is the problem?
- How serious is it?
- Know what I want out of the situation
- What is my goal?
- What outcome would satisfy me?
- List a couple ways to overcome the obstacle
- What are the risks of each solution?
- Have I asked others if they think my plan will work?
- Take action
- Knowing what to do about a problem, doesn’t make it a problem anymore!
- Evaluate the effects of my actions
- Have I asked others for feedback?
- Have I looked for smaller signs that things are improving?
- Learn from the feedback of others
- What can I learn from others who have been in similar situations?
- Modify your efforts as needed
- Am I continuing to do the same thing even though it no longer works?
- Ask yourself if you are happy with the results
- Is this outcome ok with me?
- Can I move on now?
- Ask yourself what you learned from this experience
- What were the lessons learned?
- What might I do differently next time?
Your program is here to help you along the journey of life. No situation is too big or too small. When you and your household members need assistance, reach out anytime and we will help get you on the right path to meet your needs.
Print this article
Option 1: With your mouse, right click and select “Print.”
Option 2: With your keyboard, first press and hold down the “Ctrl” key or "Command" key, then press and hold down the “P” key.