With your help, we can bring awareness to the prevalence of mental health conditions in our communities. Take action if you or someone you care about face such a struggle. Help is available! Visit the Mind Your Mental Health website or click on the links below to learn more.
December – National Stress-Free Family Holidays Month
This month, Stamp Out Stigma is taking the opportunity to bring more awareness around how the holidays affect us. It’s important to know the warning signs of mental health conditions and how to manage stress during the holiday season, as well as share resources and tips on how to start the conversation if you’re worried about a loved one. Throughout December, we encourage you, family, friends, and loved ones to learn more about mental illness and what resources are available to help those find treatment. Here are some important facts you should know:
- Nearly half of Americans report sometimes or always feeling alone (46 percent) or left out (47 percent).
- Depression affects 20-25% of Americans ages 18+ in a given year.
- Many factors, including unrealistic expectations, financial pressures, and excessive commitments can cause stress and anxiety at holiday time.
- 64 percent of people say their mental health stress level increases exponentially around this time of year.
- Headaches, excessive drinking, overeating, and insomnia are some of the possible consequences of poorly managed holiday stress.