Mind Your Mental Health – January is Mental Wellness Month
This month, Stamp Out Stigma is taking the opportunity to bring more awareness around mental health after the new year. We will be highlighting the importance of self-care habits to try as 2020 begins, as well as share resources and tips on how spread mental health awareness to others. Throughout January, we encourage family, friends, and loved ones to prioritize their mental health in the new year. Here are some important facts you should know:
- 1 in 5 Americans experience a mental illness.
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is estimated to affect 10 million Americans.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- 60% of people who achieve their New Year's resolutions flop once-or more-before succeeding.
- Nearly 60% of adults with a mental illness didn’t receive mental health services in the previous year.
- Suicide rates tend to be higher in the spring, not the winter.